‘Filfla’ follows the story of a woman who goes to look for a boy on the mystical island of Filfla, where a terrifying creature is lurking in its midst. The short animation explores Maltese myth and folk in a story of love, grief, perseverance and hope.
Done in an illustration/comic style inspired from the cell animation tradition, Filfla is a self-funded work, done (Art, animation and editing) all by visual artist Fabrizio Ellul.
‘Filfla’ is turned into the ‘Isle of the Dead’ where spirits are trapped inside the Island by an evil creature. A woman fights her own grief in pursue of a boy, who holds the key to defeat this evil creature.
Filfla just like the spirits trapped within it, also seeks to be released.
Awards/ Official Film Festival selections/ selected out of competition screenings:
– Kinemastik International Short Film Festival – Audience Award (2019, Valletta, Malta)
– French Riviera Film Festival – Finalist (2019, Cannes, France)
– Valletta Film Festival – Official Selection (2019, Valletta, Malta)
– JellyFEST Film Festival – Semi – Finalist (2019, LA, California)
– Encounters Film Festival – Out of Competition (2019, Bristol, UK)
– European ArtHouse Cinema Day – screening (2019, Valletta)
– Asia South East Short Film Festival – Special Mention (2019, Cambodia)
– ICONA 19 – Animation film festival – Official selection (2019, Corfu, Greece)
Credits / Collaborators / Cast
Produced by Filfla Studio
A story by Fabrizio Ellul
Art, Direction, Animation by Fabrizio Ellul
Voice: Gianni Micallef, Feliciann Aquilina
Music: ‘Heliocentric’ – Parvus Decree; ‘Umlungu’ – John Bartmann
Length in minutes: 6.57